In this brief essay, I will define and outline Five Phases or Stages of Destiny. This topic is relevant and timely because Destiny affects us all. A simple definition of Destiny is: The future course of events in a person’s life. Within Destiny you may have one or more (multiple) assignments; you may have one or more (multiple) roles, positions, careers, jobs, relationships, etc. God is not a one-dimensional being and neither are we, since we are created in God’s image. However, those who do not know God or lack an intimate knowledge of or relationship with Him, may refer to this as Fate or Karma rather than Destiny, but that is a false, distorted view of life, humanity and God, and a self-fulfilling prophecy. Such a view would be fatalistic, humanistic, atheistic, agnostic, nihilistic, universalistic, and/or naturalistic in its origin and outlook.
Those who are disciples of Jesus are predestined as a people group or ethnos called the Church or Ekklesia (not as individuals, since we have free will and are not robots) to be redeemed, adopted and blessed by God. Eph. 1:4-5 ESV says, “Even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will.” Eph. 1:11-12 adds, “In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will, so that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of his glory.”
Rom. 8:28-30 states, “And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.”
Finally, 2 Timothy 1:8-10 records, “Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord, nor of me his prisoner, but share in suffering for the gospel by the power of God, who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began, and which now has been manifested through the appearing of our Savior Christ Jesus, who abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel.”
So, with this Scriptural context and understanding of Destiny from God’s perspective, here are the Five Phases or Stages of Destiny:
- Receiving/Conceiving – receiving dreams, prophecies and revelation and being impregnated in your spirit man by God, and having things planted and settled in your own heart, mind and spirit about your future.
- Birthing/Crawling – birthing is glorious but can be messy; feeding babies, changing diapers, crying babies, burping them, getting their shots and checkups, developing enough strength and growth to start crawling and exploring.
- Arising (Walking/Standing) – emerging, getting or standing up. Getting on our Feet or Standing Up means something or someone has “legs,” as in traction, momentum, stability, and a strong, solid foundation – whether it is a business, ministry or a person. Ex.: We stood up the business. The business is standing on its own. The toddler is walking on his or her own. Stand up on your own two feet. Stand up on your own hind legs. The result is traction, momentum, stability and progress. God’s Plan, Purpose and Timing are Arising in and for your life.
- Converging (Running/Flying) – Converging is the confluence or coming together, intersecting or merging of character, passion, gifting, timing, team, assignment and Destiny. Fruit and symptoms of convergence are: acceleration, catapulting, divine favor, multiplication, optimization, profitability – i.e., hitting on all cylinders, being in the zone, hitting the bullseye, etc. God’s Plan, Purpose and Timing for your life are aligned and converged with those of others. We call this Interlocking Assignments.
- Succession/Graduation – mentoring others, being a spiritual father or mother to other leaders, and to the next generation, teaching them wisdom, promoting others, having leadership succession, finishing well, leaving a godly legacy.
These five stages represent a Destiny Continuum or Spectrum. We may also be at different stages of Destiny in different areas or different assignments of our life.
This personal continuum is somewhat analogous or parallel to the 5 Stages of Organizational Growth & Development described by Dr. Bruce Tuckman – Forming, Storming, Norming, Performing, and Adjourning.
In closing, I pray that this brief essay on the Five Stages of Destiny has been helpful and useful to you, and has provided you with some insight and revelation that will be of benefit to your calling, purpose, assignment and Destiny here on Planet Earth, as well as producing an eternal reward.
About the Author: Bruce Cook, Ph.D., is an ordained minister and a commissioned apostle and prophet and has significant experience in business consulting, fundraising, private equity investments, business development, marketing, corporate communications, branding, media relations, advertising, and higher education and is considered a leading authority on private equity, fundraising, publishing,corporate finance, marketplace ministry and philanthropy. He is a frequent speaker for conferences, seminars and workshops, resides in the Seattle, Washington area, and is married with two grown sons and two granddaughters. He is the Chairman & CEO of VentureAdvisers.com Inc., Kingdom House Publishing, and Kingdom Congressional International Alliance (KCIA). In addition, he is a director or trustee of WorkLife, The Glory House Ministries, Indigenous People’s Foundation, Family Church of Gig Harbor, and Kingdom Economic Yearly Summit (KEYS). In 2015 he received the Distinguished Leadership Award from I Change Nations and was designated an Honorary Ambassador by Golden Rule International.
Earlier in his career, Cook was Research Coordinator for the University of Texas Investment Management Company (UTIMCO), where he was a member of the Private Markets team responsible for alternative asset investments totaling over $500 million per year, and in aggregate, several billion dollars. Prior to that he was Assistant Manager of the largest bank in Arkansas, Worthen Bank, now owned by Bank of America, responsible for $10M daily in transactions. Dr. Cook is an author, ordained minister, and contemporary Christian songwriter and producer. His CD’s include Songs in the Night (2003), Daddy’s in the House (2004) and Wealth of the Kingdom (co-producer, 2008); Seven Mountain Symphony: Transforming the 7 Mountains of Culture was a two-disc set released in 2009 (co- producer). He is the author of Partnering with the Prophetic (2011, 2014) and also completed a five- volume apostolic anthology titled Aligning with the Apostolic: An Anthology of Apostleship (2013), for which he served as General Editor and wrote Volume One. Several other books are currently in process dealing with finance, economics, and business.
To contact: Email Brucecook77@gmail.com; www.kcialliance.org
To download this article, click here.